Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Hidden Hurts

I think sometimes people do not realize the hurt they cause others. They go on their merry way stepping on people again and again, all the while acting as if they have done nothing at all. - But this could partly be because those who are hurt don't communicate what is going on.

When I'm hurt badly, the last thing on my mind is lashing out at the one who caused it. I retreat instead into my own thoughts and try to reason the feeling out first. I hide behind my platonic, well-rehearsed, everyday face, until I've had the time I need to understand why I feel awful inside. Only when I'm sure I know what is going on, do I step out to "right the wrong". By then, I guess, it's too late.

A very wise friend of mine has given me some sound advice and insight into the mental workings of those who I feel have wronged me. I'd like to share it with you. 

She says: "Sometimes we as humans can be quite selfish. Sometimes we can only see what is right in front of us, and this causes us to put our immediate interests before others, even before what is right."

My friend's advice has made me check my own actions to see if I have been guilty of hurting others unknowingly, because of their feigned indifference. But the hidden hurts are just as bad as the ones on display, if not worse. They will eat you from the inside out, and bear the fruits of resentment, distrust and fear. I am hurting, but now I understand how I inflict hurt as well. This pain I feel right now urges me to pray that I will be smarter the next time I cross another's heart...

No comments: